“Everybody in Glade and Coal Gap Community was rich; they didn’t have no money, but they was rich. They were rich in other things. It was a good life. If a neighbor got in trouble, there was somebody
there to help him.”
History of Glade Post Office
Application for the Glade Post Office was dated February 2, 1903 and was signed by Simon McGinnis who originally requested “White River” as the name for the post office on this side of the river, but “Glade” was preferred. The location was in the Northwest Quarter of the Northwest Quarter of Section 36, Township 20, North, Range 28 West. At one time, this was the site of what was then called the La Rue Post Office as the sites moved back and forth across White River. A move of the post office was reported, but it is undated of one half mile west to the Northwest one fourth of Section 35, Township 20 North, Range 28 West. Another move of the post office was reported on July 21, 1921, by Luther M. Fine to the Northwest one fourth of section 36, Range 20 North, Township 28 West.
"We are now ready since we met and incorporated our little town with a population of 41. Election of officers as follows: S. L. McGinnis, merchant; Morgan Morrison, blacksmith; J. V. Lee, carpenter; Scot Whitney, mayor; Adam Ash, police; Harmon Williams, magistrate;