POST OFFICE HISTORY
Application for the Glade Post Office was dated February 2, 1903 and was signed by Simon McGinnis who originally requested “White River” as the name for the post office on this side of the river, but “Glade” was preferred. The location was in the Northwest Quarter of the Northwest Quarter of Section 36, Township 20, North, Range 28 West. At one time, this was the site of what was then called the La Rue Post Office as the sites moved back and forth across White River. A move of the post office was reported, but it is undated of one half mile west to the Northwest one fourth of Section 35, Township 20 North, Range 28 West. Another move of the post office was reported on July 21, 1921, by Luther M. Fine to the Northwest one fourth of section 36, Range 20 North, Township 28 West.
Postmasters of Glade, Arkansas were:
Simon L. McGinnis May 8, 1903
George W. Dawson, January 30, 1918
Luther M. Fine July 30, 1921
Simon L. McGinnis, February 21, 1922
Mrs. Lila Huddleston, April 26, 1933
Raymond Nichols, January 1, 1937
The Glade Post Office was discontinued on March 15, 1945. Now, in 2013, there are plans to move the old post office back to the Glade community from Pea Ridge, AR where it has been since Liss Williams moved it there in 1959.
History of Glade P.O. according to information provided by Nancy Feroe (BCHS), October 11, 2011
Glade Community Historical Society is a 501(c)3 exempt organization. This means that donations to GCHS are tax-deductible.
Glade Community Historical Society
2065 Slate Gap Road
Garfield, Arkansas 72732
For more information, please telephone: